Skip to main content

I want to go abroad

Partir à l'étranger

Why go abroad?

A study period abroad is undoubtedly an asset for your CV and your future professional career. This mobility enables you to broaden your horizons and confront another reality by approaching your discipline from a different angle. Mobility abroad is a life experience that goes beyond the strict academic framework. This project will not only enable you to improve your command of a foreign language, but also to acquire genuine intercultural skills.

What type of mobility should I choose?

You can choose one of three types of mobility:

  • Study mobility (semester or year-long)
  • Short-term mobility: one week's mobility at a CIVIS alliance university
  • Internship mobility

How to apply?

  • How to register for an exchange program

    • Study mobility (semester or year-long)

      For study mobility (semester or year-long), registration takes place in 4 stages:

      Step 1:

      Consult the websites of partner universities in the Mobility Directory of the Direction des Relations Internationales (DRI AMU): https: //

      You can also apply to a CIVIS Alliance university, whatever your field of study, as long as you find a course that matches your studies:

      • National and Capodistrian University of Athens (Athens, Greece)
      • Université Libre de Bruxelles (Brussels, Belgium)
      • University of Bucharest (Bucharest, Romania)
      • Autonomous University of Madrid (Madrid, Spain)
      • La Sapienza University of Rome (Rome, Italy)
      • University of Stockholm (Stockholm, Sweden)
      • Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen (Tübingen, Germany)

      Step 2:

      Determine the list of courses you wish to take (study contract), which must correspond to the course you are expected to take at AMU in the year of your mobility.

      This list must be submitted, revised and signed by the International Relations advisor.

      Step 3:

      Send an e-mail to the IR advisor for your discipline, enclosing :

      • your study contract
      • your CV
      • your cover letter
      • your university grades since the baccalaureate

      Step 4:

      Complete the MoveON form via the link provided by the DRI (application forms are available according to the mobility campaign calendar), enclosing :

      • a cover letter in the language of instruction of the host country
      • CV
      • study contract(s) signed by the IR advisor
      • university transcripts + baccalaureate

      N.B.: You can apply from L2 in Europe (Erasmus) and from L3 outside Europe and in CIVIS alliance universities.

    • Short-term mobility as part of the CIVIS alliance

      You can apply for a short week's mobility at a CIVIS alliance university on the website, and contact your DRI Campus at the same time.

    • Internship mobility

      If your course includes a compulsory internship, you can choose to do it abroad. In this case, you'll need to find your internship and draw up an agreement via the IPRO platform, using your AMU ENT login and password. It is essential to contact your DRI Campus to register your internship and apply for the associated grant.

  • How to register without an agreement

    If you wish to apply as an independent candidate to the university of your choice, please go directly to the university's website to find out how to apply.

    Don't hesitate to contact your IR advisors if you need any help with your application.

Partner universities

UFR Sciences is a partner of 142 universities in 34 countries.

Mobility grants and subsidies

The International Relations Department manages several mobility assistance schemes. They correspond to different funding bodies - the European Union, the French Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation (MESRI), the South Region, the University - and have specific eligibility and award criteria:

  • AMU scholarships

    • Erasmus+ grant

      Erasmus+ grant from the European Union for study or internship mobility in a country participating in the program.

      Duration of funded stay: 2 months minimum, up to a maximum of 12 months per study cycle (Bachelor's and Master's degrees).

    • International Mobility Grant (AMI)

      International Mobility Grant (AMI) from the MESRI (French Ministry of Higher Education and Research) for mobility abroad, without destination restriction, only if you are a beneficiary of a grant based on social criteria (CROUS).

      The Ministry of National Education and Higher Education's (MENESR) mobility grant scheme enables students receiving a grant based on social criteria to benefit from additional financial aid to follow a higher education course abroad as part of an exchange program, or to carry out an international internship.
      This course or internship abroad* must be part of your course of study.
      (*Excluded are the following territories: Metropolitan France, French overseas territories and the Principality of Monaco)

      Eligibility criteria :

      • Preparing a national diploma
      • Receive a higher education grant based on social criteria (at any level) or annual emergency assistance. How to apply: HERE

      Duration of funding:
      The duration of the funded stay may not be less than 2 months, nor more than 9 consecutive months.
      Over the course of their higher education studies, students may not receive more than 9 months' cumulative mobility assistance.

      The AMI grant can be cumulated with an Erasmus + grant. It cannot be combined with a PRAME grant.

      Application form:
      Directly from your Campus DRI or the International Relations Department of your home institution. DRI relay

      Submission of application:
      MUST be sent to your Campus DRI or to the International Relations Department of your home institution.

    • Outgoing Mobility Plan Grant (PMS)

      Outgoing Mobility Plan Grant (PMS) Aix-Marseille University's Outgoing Mobility Plan (PMS) scholarship is subject to selection by your component.

      The PMS scholarship is subject to selection by the student's component and by an institutional selection committee. The academic criterion is decisive for the student's ranking.

      Geographical area: Preferred partner universities (for the 2nd semester 2020-21, due to the COVID-19 crisis, all intra-European mobility is eligible).

      Level of study: L2, L3, Master's, Doctorate
      No duration of stay or income requirements.

      Amount allocated :

      • 600€/month in Europe (capped at 3000€/university year)
      • 1000€/month outside Europe (capped at 5000€/academic year)
    • MASTER TIGER Excellence Scholarship

      Aix-Marseille Université has made international mobility and welcoming international students a cornerstone of its attractiveness policy. To this end, it has set up a unique scholarship scheme to fund profiles of excellence from all over the world, enabling them to join the ranks of our university.

      Duration of funded stay: 1 month minimum and 5 months maximum
      Funding :

      • 600 €/month in Europe (capped at 3000€/academic year)
      • 1000 €/month outside Europe (up to a maximum of 5000€/academic year)

      These grants are subject to selection by the pedagogical team.
      For further information, please contact the pedagogical managers of the MASTER programs concerned, and consult the AMU TIGER mobility grants page.

    • PRAME internship grant

      PRAME-internship grant from the Southern Region for internship mobility abroad (excluding Andorra and Monaco) for internship applications abroad.

      Programme Régional d'Aide à la Mobilité Etudiante (PRAME grants)

      Eligibility criteria :

      • Be enrolled in an initial training program at a public or private higher education establishment in the PACA region under agreement with the Region (students enrolled in a thesis, students on sandwich courses and those preparing a BTS are excluded);
      • Preparing a State diploma, a diploma approved by the State, a DUETI (Diplôme Universitaire d'Etudes Technologiques Internationales) or a diploma registered with the RNCP (Répertoire National des Certifications Professionnelles);
      • Be under 30 years of age on October 1, 2015;
      • Have completed one year of studies at a regional institution of higher education, or have obtained their baccalaureate in the PACA region (regional anchoring criterion);
      • Meet a social criteria requirement: the family quotient (QF) shown on the 2014 tax notice (on 2013 income) may not exceed €24,000 (QF = overall gross income divided by number of units). Foreign students must produce a translated and certified administrative document showing their resources and household composition for 2013;
      • Undertake a period of mobility abroad (provided you are not a national of the host country) of at least 3 months for studies and 8 weeks for an internship ending no later than December 31, 2016;
      • Carry out the training period in an eligible territory: countries worldwide, excluding France (metropolitan and overseas territories) and the Principality of Monaco;
      • Mobility within the framework of the academic year;

      The PRAME grant cannot be combined with an ERASMUS + grant, nor with a MENESR AMI grant.

      Application form :

      You can collect it from your Campus DRI or from the International Relations department of your component.

      Submission of application :

      Only from your Campus DRI or the International Relations department of your component(contacts).

    • ARMIE scholarship from the Southern Region

      International Mobility Grant from Région Sud for study abroad outside the European Union, Andorra and Monaco.

      For more information, please visit the Région Sud website.

  • Foreign government scholarships

    Every year, the Chinese and Taiwanese governments offer scholarships to French students to help them improve their Chinese. These scholarships are available to students in the "Asian Studies" program.

    Students can start at Licence 3 level. The program is managed by the Department of Asian Studies at Aix-Marseille University.

    For further information: (China) or (Taiwan) and the Asian Studies Department of the Faculty of Arts, Letters, Languages and Human Sciences (ALLSH).

    You can also contact your DRI campus managers for further information.

You can also contact your home town, department or region, which often offers scholarships for study and/or internships abroad: Marseille, Aix-en-Provence, Conseil général du Vaucluse, Conseil général du Var.

Fellowships are also available for research stays:

  • Germany

    DAAD scholarships:

    Support for students, PhD students, post-doctoral fellows and senior researchers, for study or research stays in Germany. Two calls for applications each year: February 15 and September 15.

    For doctoral students and young researchers wishing to pursue research essential to their projects, or to defend a thesis in France, Germany or under joint supervision.

    Stay of 1 to 6 months in a German state-approved higher education establishment or research institute.

    For former scholarship holders who have received a minimum 6-month scholarship in Germany.

    To be invited back to Germany to carry out a research or work project lasting 1 to 3 months at a German public or state-recognized higher education institution or non-university research institute.

    For senior lecturers in higher education establishments or research institutes in France.

    To carry out a 1-3 month research project at a German public or state-approved higher education establishment or research institute.

    CIERA (Centre Interdisciplinaire d'Etudes et de Recherches sur l'Allemagne) grants:

    CIERA scholarships are mobility grants for research stays in Germany or a German-speaking country in the Humanities and Social Sciences. Either a stay of up to 4 months (610 euros/month) for doctoral students who already have other funding. Or a stay of up to 6 months (1220 euros/month) for doctoral students with no other funding. These grants for doctoral mobility can be received a maximum of 2 times during the course of the thesis.

  • AUF - Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie

    Many calls for tender are regularly posted online by all AUF offices, so we advise you to consult their sites regularly.

  • Canada

    Mitacs programs: research opportunities in Canada

    Mitacs is Canada's national organization dedicated to designing and implementing research and training programs in Canada. The organization has links with some sixty universities, thousands of companies, as well as government and international institutions. It is particularly focused on industrial and social innovation.

    Mitacs offers four different programs(Acceleration, Elevation, Globalink and Etapes) to support research internships, student and post-doctoral training, and international research collaborations. These programs provide opportunities to carry out a research project or internship in partnership with a Canadian university or company. More specific collaborations are also possible thanks to the Globalink program, of which France is one of the main partners.

    If you're interested in one of the Mitacs opportunities, please visit their website and ask your DRI Campus for more information.

  • United States

    This program is offered by the French Embassy in the United States to enable doctoral students enrolled in an American university to spend 4 to 9 months in a French research laboratory. Chateaubriand Fellows receive a stipend. Round-trip airfare and medical insurance are provided.

    A fellowship program for doctoral students inscience, technology, engineering, mathematics and biology-health aims to initiate or strengthen collaborations or joint projects between French and American research teams. This program is set up by the Service pour la Science et la Technologie (SST) of the French Embassy in Washington, in partnership with American universities and research organizations such as Inserm and Inria. It is a partner of the National Science Foundation (NSF) in the GROW program. Contact:

    And a program in the humanities and social sciences set up by the Cultural Services of the French Embassy in Washington. It is aimed at American doctoral students wishing to pursue part of their work with a research team in France, in all disciplines of the humanities and social sciences. The program is supported by Campus France, which assists SHS laureates with their settlement in France before and after their departure. Collaborations and one-off events with the Lauréats Fullbrught network are also offered during the laureates' stay. Contact:

    For further information, visit

    United States - Partner University Fund (PUF)

  • Finland

    The Finnish Society for Science and Letters and the Finnish Academy of Science and Letters are offering two seed funding programs to strengthen bilateral cooperation between France and Finland.

    • Short-term researcher mobility (RSM)

    To strengthen cooperation in science, innovation and higher education in all research fields of mutual interest, this program will enable selected researchers from France and Finland to come and meet their counterparts for a short period (from a few days to 2 weeks).


    Target group :

    - PhD students and young researchers


    - Discuss possibilities for concrete collaboration in research and, if possible, higher education (student mobility, double degrees, cotutelle PhDs, submission of joint European projects....)

    - Meet and discuss with several researchers at the host institution to explore other possible collaborations, also in a multidisciplinary approach.

    - Identify short-, medium- and long-term prospects for collaboration and official formalization of cooperation in order to build lasting cooperation between research teams, research laboratories, departments and institutions.

    Grant :

    - 1200 € to cover travel, accommodation and departure expenses for a short visit to the host country

  • Italy

    The Franco-Italian University (UFI) offers a number of scholarship programs, including the VINCI program (mobility grants for co-tutored theses, doctoral contracts for co-tutored theses, three-year co-tutored doctoral scholarships, support for post-doctoral integration...). For further information and the calendar, visit

  • India

    Calls for fellowships on the Institut Français d'Inde website.

    Raman-Charpak PhD fellowship (deadline: 31/05/2016)

  • Japan

  • Eiffel scholarships

    The Eiffel scholarship program, launched in January 1999 by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is designed to support the international recruitment efforts of French higher education establishments, against a backdrop of increasing competition between developed countries to attract the elite of foreign students to Master's, Engineering and Doctorate courses.
    Eiffel scholarships are excellence scholarships at Master's and Doctorate levels for Law and Political Science, Economics and Management and Science. Foreign students wishing to apply for an Eiffel scholarship must do so not directly, but through the French university in which they wish to enroll. The application must be submitted by the Master's degree supervisor or thesis director.
    Please note that more than one university may not submit an Eiffel application for the same student.
    Contact us.

A number of factors have to be taken into account to qualify for international mobility assistance:

  • Application for financial assistance is always subject to prior validation of your mobility (internship agreement, selection for study mobility).
  • Your mobility must be eligible for funding (destination, duration, etc.).
  • For certain types of funding, your personal profile (family quota, CROUS level) and your academic level (especially for the PMS) are required.
  • You must scrupulously respect the schedules and procedures communicated by your international mobility manager.
  • All grant applications are made via your Moveon online portal.

Région Sud scholarships: in addition to the Moveon procedure, students must go to the Région Sud portal by clicking here, create an account and submit an online application by uploading the necessary documents.

  • I've already received support for international mobility: am I eligible again?

    For Erasmus yes only if I do not exceed 12 months of mobility in the same cycle (12 months in L/ 12 months in M/ 12 months in D).

  • Will I have to repay my scholarship if I don't complete my mobility program or validate my year abroad?

    For Erasmus, it depends on whether the reduction in the length of the stay affects eligibility for the program (minimum 3 months for study and 2 months for internships). If, by reducing the period, the mobility falls below 3 months (or 2 months for internships), then a full refund is required, except in cases of justified force majeure. In the event of a reduction in the period of eligibility, a prorata temporis refund will be requested. The question of non-validation is pedagogical and not related to the scholarship.

  • How much does mobility abroad cost?

    The cost of mobility will depend first and foremost on the cost of living in the host country, or in the host city (mobility in London will be much more expensive than mobility in another British city, for example). Distance and related transportation costs can also represent a major expense. Specific costs for certain destinations may also need to be taken into account: visas, additional medical cover, repatriation insurance, etc. On the other hand, and apart from a few exceptions, international mobility does not entail any additional costs linked to university registration: registration fees must be paid to Aix-Marseille Université before your departure, and are waived at your host institution in the case of study mobility.

  • How long does it take from application to award?

    The time between application and receipt of the grant varies, but in some cases it can take several months. As a result, students may only receive their scholarship at the end of their semester abroad. It is therefore essential to anticipate this delay and to ensure that you have sufficient funds to cover the costs of the first few months of study abroad.

  • Can I combine several grants for international mobility?

    Région Sud grants (PRAME-stage and Aide à la mobilité internationale - études) cannot be combined with other international mobility grants.

    The MESRI AMI grant can be combined with the Erasmus+ and PMS grants.

    Erasmus+ and PMS grants can be combined up to a maximum of 700 euros per month.

Research stays

You are a teacher, researcher or doctoral student:

  • you have an international cooperation project and are looking for sources of funding.
  • you need a research grant: various grants are available to enable you to spend a research period abroad. To find out more
  • you'd like to co-supervise your thesis / your student would like to co-supervise his or her thesis. To find out more

International mobility assistance for students with disabilities

Students with disabilities wishing to undertake international mobility can benefit from a number of specific aids in addition to those available to all students.

To find out more, please contact your DRI Campus.

Calendar of procedures

To find out about dates for registration procedures or scholarship applications, please consult the calendar.


contact :

Academic representatives for International Relations :